How To Prevent Your Dog From Getting Fleas: 10 Steps
may have heard that fleas are an inevitable part of having a pet. After all, every dog gets them at some point, right? Not exactly, though we understand why this misconception is out there. While these parasites are very common, that doesn’t mean your dog will get attacked by them. You cannot rule out the possibility 100%, but you can do a ton of things to prevent your dog from getting fleas.
We’ve come up with ten different things you need in order to make this happen. From medicines to shampoos to combs, there are tons of items that can help you keep your dog free of fleas. Before you use more than one flea medicine (collars, dips, ointments, and tablets) at once, make sure you call your veterinarian. Other than that, you can try out a combination of these options to get the best results. Without further ado, here are the ten things you need to prevent your dog from getting fleas.
1. A Flea Collar For Your Furry Friend
collars are a simple and effective solution for keeping blood sucking parasites away from your dog. A flea collar contains flea repellant that keeps these critters far away from your dog. Though it is worn around your dog’s neck, it can provide him with thorough protection. Here are a couple of highly-rated flea collars that we suggest checking out:
- Herbal Repellent Collar For Dogs And Puppies – This collar is quite unique when it comes to flea collars. Many of them contain chemical insecticides, but this toxin-free and chemical-free option does not. It is comprised of a unique blend of oils that are designed to repel fleas in a 100% safe, natural way. This collar may keep your dog flea-free for up to four months. This collar is also recommended by Dr. Karen Becker, an integrative wellness veterinarian.
- Flea Tick Collar ProGuard Plus – The ProGuard Plus flea collar keeps fleas off of your dog for up to nine months. It also protects your furry friend from ticks, mosquitoes, and other common pests. The collar contains an insecticide called Tetrachlorvinphos, which is designed to repel and kill fleas. We were thoroughly impressed by the dozens of 4-star and 5-star reviews left by dog owners on Amazon. This product truly seems to do the trick and produce long lasting results.
- Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar – This dog flea collar is a consistent best-seller in the “dog flea collar”category, so it really stood out to us. After doing some research, we can see why this collar is so popular. The product is recommended by veterinarians and it can protect your dog from fleas for as long as eight months. One thing we love about this collar is that it’s water resistant. Additionally, it has a safety release like many traditional collars. This means you may quickly remove it from your pup to prevent any sort of accident or injury.
2. A Flea Dip For Your Furry Friend
flea dip is a chemical based flea killer that you dilute in water. Once it’s diluted, you can use it to give your dog a sponge bath. You can also opt to simply pour the mixture on your dog – of course, doing this in the bathtub is ideal. However, it is important not to rinse this product off after applying it. We’ve found a few flea dips that are popular among dog owners:
- Adams Plus Pyrethrin Dip for Dogs and Cats – This flea dip is made from pyrethrin, an insecticide that is derived from organic compounds. Like a few other products throughout this post, this dip kills many insects aside from fleas on dogs. This particular product contains aloe vera extract and lanolin, which are both naturally soothing moisturizers. Dog owners mention that they tend to get consistent, high-quality results when using this popular flea dip.
- Vet Basics Lime Sulfur Dip – Though sulfur-based products don’t have the best scent, they can really pack a punch when it comes to flea killing and flea prevention. In addition to protecting your dog from fleas, it can also alleviate itching caused by mange and other conditions. Due to the strong odor, we suggest using this product outside where you can breathe easily. Despite being smelly, Vet Basics seems to be truly loved for treating fleas, mange, ringworm, and more.
3. Supplies For Killing Fleas Indoors
can thrive indoors just as much as they can thrive outdoors. This makes it important to perform routine anti-flea maintenance in your home. This is even more crucial if your dog has recently been infested by fleas. Once your dog has fleas, your home has fleas as well. Fortunately, you can use some powerful supplies for killing fleas indoors:
- Hot Shot Bedbug & Flea Home Insect Killer2 – This handy spray immediately kills fleas and bedbugs in all stages of life. We chose to discuss this product because it’s got some features we like – no lingering odor, it doesn’t stain, and it doesn’t leave a residue on your home’s surfaces. Lots of dog owners confirm that these statements about the product are very true. It comes with a handy hose that you can use to spray very hard-to-reach places. Use it throughout your home to eliminate any fleas if you suspect your dog has them.
- Enforcer 20-Ounce Flea Killer for Carpet – Do you ever sprinkle those pleasantly scented deodorizing powders on your carpet before you vacuum? They’re inexpensive and effective, just like this product. The big difference is that this ocean breeze scented powder kills fleas, roaches, ants, and tons of other pests. Eliminate the threat of fleas in your carpet by sprinkling this before you vacuum. We like this product because it’s a no-fuss, no-frills option with excellent feedback from dog owners.
4. Supplies For Catching Fleas Indoors
you really want to prevent fleas, you can monitor whether or not they’re in your home. The trick to doing this is simple – set flea traps throughout your home to discover if they’re lingering in your carpets, furniture, and so on. Again, this is another great step to take if your dog has recently had a flea problem. There are tons of flea traps on the market, but here are a few for you to consider:
- Aspectek Sticky Dome FleaTrap – There are three main features about this product that we love. First, it’s natural and safe to use around your dog and children. Second, you simply plug it into an outlet in your home for 24/7 flea prevention. Lastly, it uses four different methods to entice insecticides – light, a sweet smell, heat, and color. As you can see, this goes above and beyond other glue traps for fleas. It’s certainly a solid way to catch any potential fleas and other critters that may get into your home.
- Victor M230 Ultimate Flea Insect Trap – This is another completely non-toxic flea trap, which we know can be very reassuring for dog lovers. It’s similar to the trap mentioned above. It lures fleas in using warm and a sweetly scented glue. It can draw in fleas that are as far as 30 feet away, and once they are lured in they’re completely stuck. This no-mess flea trap for dogs is a great form of reassurance – you can be 100% certain that you do (or do not) have fleas in your home.
5. Supplies For Killing Fleas Outdoors
many cases, dogs pick up fleas while spending time outdoors. They may pick them up from other dogs, but they could also be lurking in your lawn. When your grass is long or you’ve got piles of damp leaves, fleas can easily hide and get to your furry friend. In addition to raking regularly and keeping the grass mowed, you can get some supplies for killing fleas outdoors. We’ve looked into some options, and these seem to be quite popular:
- Ortho Bug B Gon Max Insect Killer for Lawns – This outdoor flea killer really packs a punch – it’s designed to eliminate 100 types of pests! It kills fleas and other insects, and it prevents them from infesting your lawn for three months. We really like that A) there’s a money back guarantee on this product and B) dog and pet owners rave about the results they get. This lawn treatment is super affordable and the 10-pound bag covers up to 10,000 square feet.
- Bayer Advanced 700280 Complete Insect Killer for Soil and Turf – This insect eliminating formula works to kill fleas on your lawn and in your soil. Fleas and other annoying pests on your lawn are eliminated within one day. The liquid keeps them away for three months, so you can let your pup run free without any worries. One 32 ounce bottle of this insecticide covers over 5,000 feet, so you can rest assured your lawn is thoroughly treated. When you check out the great Amazon reviews by other pet owners, there are tons of great tips about how you can best use this product. We suggest checking them out to get the best results!
6. Grooming Accessories For Your Furry Friend
your pup is a standard part of pet care. It keeps him looking great and feeling clean. In addition to this, regular grooming may help reduce the likelihood of your dog getting fleas. Regular grooming means that you can thoroughly inspect your dog’s coat for pests. We choose some tools that help you seek out any potential fleas. They can also be used to simply keep your dog’s coat clean, which can make the presence of fleas more noticeable, more quickly. To prepare for your dog’s next home grooming session, consider trying out these products to keep the parasites at bay:
- Safari De-matting Comb – If your dog has medium to long hair, there’s a good chance he’ll get matted hair without regular grooming. Not only does matted hair look unsightly, but it creates an environment for fleas to hide in. This comb is uniquely designed to gently and effectively eliminated matting in your dog’s coat. Many dog owners mentioned that their dogs seemed comfortable and that this tool made de-matting a painless process. This is definitely a tool to keep in your grooming arsenal, and it may help you find and prevent fleas, too.
- Master Grooming Tools Contoured Grip Flea Combs – Do you suspect that your dog has fleas? If so, a flea comb is a must-have tool for inspecting and grooming his coat. We like this comb because it features an ergonomic handle that’s comfortable to hold. Additionally, the pins are made from durable stainless steel, so they’re built to last. Even if your dog doesn’t have fleas, this comb is excellent for removing dirt, debris, and any other critters that may be bothering him.
7. Soaps And Shampoos For Bath Time
time is another essential part of grooming your pup, and it’s also an excellent way to deter fleas. There are tons of soaps and shampoos that are A) designed to kill fleas, flea eggs, and larvae and B) prevent them from coming back from long periods of time. You can use one of these shampoos as a preventative measure or if you suspect your pup has fleas. Here are some popular options that contain effective ingredients for flea elimination:
- Vet’s Best Natural Anti-flea Easy Spray Shampoo – This safe and natural shampoo is made from pleasant smelling and effective ingredients like peppermint oil and clove extract. It’s designed to kill fleas and keep them away without coating your dog in chemicals. You and your pup can both enjoy his bath time – he gets a gentle cleaning, and you can feel confident that you’re preventing fleas! Pair this with the flea comb mentioned above for super thorough cleaning.
- OxGord Organic Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner – This best-selling, highly-rated product has a lot of features that really stand out to us. It uses all natural and organic ingredients, and it’s a vegan-friendly product. It’s comprised of oatmeal, shea butter, aloe vera, cleansing oils, and other gentle but effective ingredients. It’s also designed to give your dog’s coat a shiny, radiant look. So whether or not your dog has fleas, you can give him a gentle bath with this pleasant smelling and all-natural shampoo and conditioner.
8. An Oral Tablet For Your Furry Friend
understand that giving your dog medication isn’t always ideal. It can be uncomfortable for both you and your furry friend, but sometimes it’s very necessary. Oral flea tablets are like many other types of products; they contain insecticides that kill fleas during all stages of their life. Like flea shampoos, they also provide preventative treatment. Having these tablets in your arsenal of anti-flea products is a good call. Below you will find one all-natural flea tablet and one insecticide-based flea tablet.
- Flea Away All Natural Flea Repellent for Dogs and Cats – Do you prefer to give your dog natural foods and supplements when you can? If so, Flea Away is definitely an oral tablet you’ll want to consider. It uses vitamins and other natural, non-chemical ingredients to keep fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes away from your pup. It can also treat an allergic reaction if your dog is ever bitten by fleas. These chewable tablets are easy for your dog to consume, so you don’t have to fuss over giving him medicine that he’ll resist taking.
- Capstar Green Box Flea Oral Treatment – If you’ve ever taken your dog to the vet for flea treatment, you may have been prescribed this exact medicine. Now it’s available over the counter, so you can quickly access it when you need it most. Nitenpyram, the active ingredient in Capstar, is an insecticide that’s very well-known for killing adult fleas. Even if your dog doesn’t have fleas, consider keeping a box of these tablets on hand. That way you can treat an infestation as soon as possible.
9. A Topical Ointment For Your Furry Friend
ointments are one of the most well-known methods of flea prevention. You’ve likely seen catchy commercials for major name brand flea ointments. These ointments contain insecticides that can be safely applied to your dog. Additionally, there are all-natural topical ointments available if you’d prefer that kind of alternative. We’ve linked you to an option in each category so that you can see which one is the best fit for you and your pup:
- Merial Frontline Plus Flea and Tick Control – Frontline Plus is certainly a well-known name brand in the pet community. This ointment uses medicated insecticide to kill between 98 and 100 percent of fleas on dogs. Each dose in the box provides one month of protection from fleas, so you can breathe a sigh of relief. It’s also waterproof, so you can let your pup run through the sprinkler without any worries. There are different options available depending on the size of your dog, so double-check and make sure you choose the correct one.
- Terra Pet Naturals Spray and Topical Treatment Drops – Still looking for something a bit more natural or chemical-free for your dog? Then this drop and spray duo is truly worth a shot. The topical treatment drops are made from a blend of several different oils. Some of those oils include peppermint oil, clove oil, lavender oil, and citronella oil. The spray is made from apple cider vinegar, which is a popular all-natural flea repellant. If your pup has sensitive skin, the drops are definitely an excellent option to consider. As an added plus, this duo repels mosquitoes, ticks, and other pests that your dog comes into contact with.
10. Flea Foggers And Other Home Insecticides
foggers are an inexpensive and very effective way to eradicate fleas within your home. Foggers spray a chemical throughout your entire home, covering the floor, walls, crevices, and other spaces. The only downside to using a fogger is that you’ll need to plan ahead a bit. You and your pup will need to leave your home while the fogger is in use. Additionally, you made need to do a bit of cleaning up afterward. However, don’t let any of that be off-putting. Foggers can eliminate fleas in just one use, and we’ve listed two options for you to check out:
- Hot Shot 20177 No-Mess! Fogger – Hot Shot Foggers really pack a punch when it comes to getting rid of every last insect within your home. This product kills both visible and hidden insects in your home, including fleas, roaches, ants, and more. One single can will treat up to 2,000 cubic feet, and each case comes with three foggers. So for a very small price, you can completely shut down any pests trying to make a home within your home. With any fogger, we strongly suggest using caution and following the directions closely. You want to get the best results while staying safe!
- Vet Kem Siphotrol Plus Fogger – These foggers are designed specifically to kill fleas and ticks, so they’re a good option for thoroughly protecting your dog. They are designed not to leave behind any sticky residue, and they do not produce a nasty odor. Each fogger in the case covers 3,000 cubic feet, and each case has three foggers. So once again, you’re getting total home protection for a super competitive price. Again, follow all instructions and make sure that you and your pup are not in your home while the foggers are in use.
Fear Fleas No More
you were stressed out about fleas before, we hope that these options give you some relief. With ten categories and over 20 products to choose from, we feel confident that you’ll find something to prevent fleas in your home. Whether you’re a fan of organic products or you want something ultra-strong, there are flea prevention and elimination products that meet your needs. If you want to get as much flea prevention information as possible, make sure to check out our other posts about fleas. With all of these resources, you can protect your pup and breathe a sigh of relief.