Our Guide Of Toys Your German Shepherd Is Sure To Love
Shepherds are a wonderful and unique dog breed. They are known for their charming characteristics – they’re very intelligent, energetic, loving, and playful. If you own a German Shepherd or plan to own one, you’ll need to dedicate some time to playing with your dog. Fortunately, this can be a very enriching experience for both you and your canine companion.
There are thousands of different dog toys on the market. We believe in finding toys that both are both fun and beneficial for German Shepherds. That’s why we took the time to create this list of eight great toys for German Shepherd games. Each toy has unique features that we’ll highlight for you. Check out our compilation below to see what products you can use with your furry friend.
A Fun And Practical Rope Toy!
SatisPet Large Dog Interactive Rope Tug Training Tool
- This rope is specifically designed to resist wear and tear. The manufacturer designed this toy with aggressive chewers in mind. If your German Shepherd is prone to ripping up toys, this rope is a great and sturdy choice.
- The rope weighs five pounds and it is 31 inches long. As you can tell by these stats, this isn’t like any typical dog rope toy. It’s built for bigger breeds like German Shepherds.
- The cotton material is completely safe for your dog’s teeth and mouth. Despite being impressively durable, this product is safe and gentle for your canine. It’s free of plastics, chemicals, and so on.
- Dog owners leave this product consistently positive feedback on Amazon. One dog owner called this product “the holy grail” and said, “Can not recommend enough.” Another buyer said “Perfect chew toy for large dogs! Heavy duty and shockingly large. My 60lb dog has yet to demolish it.”
Suggested Activity: In addition to playing ‘tug of war’ with your German Shepherd, you can use this ultra-sturdy rope for behavioral training. See the rope toys section of this training article to learn more about the benefits of doing so.
Ideal For Interactive Fun!
KONG Jumbler Ball Dog Toy
- The outer ball is a whopping seven inches in length, width, and height. This makes it a great pick for large breeds like German Shepherds.
- The material used for this toy is extremely durable. The tennis ball inside of this toy is surrounded by ultra-tough thermoplastic.
- It is more interactive than a plain tennis ball or similar toy. In addition to being larger than the average ball, this item has handles and features a squeaker. This is much more engaging for your German Shepherd.
- The KONG Jumbler Ball Dog Toy has over 1,300 reviews from happy customers. One American Pitbull owner said “Cannot recommend this toy enough! A lot of toys say they are tough, but this is the real thing! Great product!”. Another dog owner said, “Please don’t ever stop making these!”. What a great testament to this product.
Suggested Activity: This Kong ball toy is excellent for playing a classic game of fetch with your dog. The squeaker feature also makes it a great tool for independent play for your German Shepherd.
Channel Your Dog’s Curiosity With This Game!
Trixie Pet Products Mad Scientist For Dogs, Level 2
- This toy is designed to channel the energy and curiosity of dogs. As you may know, German shepherds are instinctually very energetic dogs. This toy focuses on using their energy, so it’s great for this breed.
- This ‘Level 2’ toy is perfect for intelligent breeds like German Shepherds. As mentioned in the introduction, this breed is also known for being quite intelligent. This toy requires your dog’s attention and thinking skills.
- This toy is highly interactive. You use the toy by placing treats into the beakers and putting the lids on them. Your German Shepherd must correctly flip and balance each beaker to get his treats. You can mix and match the lids and how you use this game for varying degrees of difficulty.
- The toy features non-slip rubber feet to help it stay securely in place. If you’re worried about your big canine friend knocking this toy over, don’t stress too much! It has sturdy non-slip feet to make sure it isn’t knocked over easily.
- Many dog owners have left excellent feedback about this unique product. One dog owner left a five-star review and said “Challenging! My dog loves these puzzle toys.” and another says it’s a “Great mind challenge for dogs.”
Suggested Activity: This toy is an activity all by itself! However, you can certainly use it in obedience training or as a fun alternative version of the ‘hide the treat’ game.
Keep Your Dog Mentally and Physically Stimulated!
- This toy is designed for physical and mental stimulation. This toy keeps your dog moving and his brain going. It’s the ideal combo for a German Shepherd!
- You can easily adjust the difficulty level of the toy. The treats are designed to spill out of the toy as your dog moves it. Once one level becomes easy, you can adjust it to further challenge and stimulate your German Shepherd.
- The product is designed for medium to large sized dogs. The four-inch ball is a great pick for German Shepherds; it’s the perfect size for safe play.
- The Our Pets Smarter Interactive IQ Treat Ball Dog Toy has over 4,000 reviews! As you can see, they are overwhelmingly positive, too. One dog owner left a five-star rating and said “My dog LOVES this toy! And it keeps him busy and occupied when we can not.”. Another said “Our dog loves this. She seems to really enjoy playing with it.”.
Suggested Activity: This is another toy that makes a great alternative to ‘hide the treat’. Many dog owners also stated that this toy is perfect for independent play.
A Major Hit With The Hounds!
HDP 18 Ft Dog Agility Training Open Tunnel
- The 24 inch opening of the tunnel is good for big dogs like German Shepherds. The average German Shepherd is 22-26 inches depending on sex and age.
- The tunnel is equipped with short stakes to secure it. These stakes go safely and easily into the ground, so they do not pose a risk to your furry friend.
- The material used for the tunnel is durable. The blue material is intertwine wove oxford Dracon, which is often used for uniforms and commercial fabrics.
- The HDP 18 Ft Dog Agility Training Open Tunnel has over 500 reviews and a pristine rating on Amazon. One dog lover left a five-star review stating “This is a major hit with the dogs! Both the 62# Lab and the 45# Border Collie had a blast running into and through the tunnel without any prompts.” Another dog owner said “Very satisfied, very cool!”. This is definitely a great option with solid feedback.
Suggested Activity: As you can tell, this product is designed for agility training. You can also combine the tunnel with simple and classic games like fetch to keep your dog active.
Fetch Heaven For A Shepherd!
Chuckit Kick Fetch Toy Ball for Dogs
- This toy makes fetch more convenient for you. If you get tired of bending down or you have limited mobility, fetch may not be the ideal game for you. You simply kick this ball to play, so it’s very low effort!
- The size of this ball is a great fit for larger breeds. It’s 7.5 inches in diameter and similar to a soccer ball.
- The core of the ball is sturdy and built to withstand wear and tear. It’s made from puncture resistant foam, so you can feel confident about it lasting.
- The outside of the toy is made from natural high-bounce rubber. When you throw or kick it, your German Shepherd is sure to happily run far to retrieve it.
- The Chuckit Kick Fetch Toy Ball has over 1,300 ratings and they are overwhelmingly excellent. One very happy buyer said “Thank you for a wonderful product! Huge Chuckit fan! I own a few of their products and my dog LOVES them all!”. Another says “Chuck-It’s Kick Fetch ball is one of the very best dog toys that I’ve come across.”
Suggested Activity: This ball is designed for fetch, but it certainly takes things up a notch! Watch the video in the Amazon product description to see how you and your dog can enjoy this toy.
KONG Extreme Dog Toy
- The KONG Extreme Dog Toy is made from a tough rubber compound. This makes for a super durable and long lasting dog toy.
- The toy can be filled with treats for your furry friend. Photos in the product link show how you can easily put your dog’s treats into the toy.
- The toy is used by many different reputable organizations. Examples include police, drug enforcement, and military K-9 teams, Schutzhund trainers, and AKC competition trainers.
- For your German shepherd, you can choose from Large, X-Large, or XX-Large. These sizes range between 4.1 and 9.5 inches, so you can pick whichever one seems best for your canine.
- Like other KONG toys, this one has impressive feedback; it has over 4,000 great Amazon reviews. One recent buyer said “Definitely is stronger than the original red!” and left a five-star rating. Another dog owner said “This thing is beastly.” and also gives it five stars.
Suggested Activity: The KONG Extreme Dog Toy can be used for fetch, ‘hide the treat’, obedience training, and so much more. The Amazon product description lists tons of different ideas for using this super popular toy.
Helps To Develop Your Dog’s Motor Skills!
FitPAWS Paw Pods for Dog Agility
- These toys are very beneficial for your dog’s overall growth. They promote dynamic balance, independent limb awareness, and coordination.
- Each pod is covered in sensory bumps. Sensory bumps are designed for neural stimulation. This article discusses the great importance of neural stimulation in dogs.
- The pods also feature a flat/smooth side. This means you can change the “difficulty setting” to suit your dog.
- Each pod is five inches in diameter. This makes them a pretty ideal fit for dogs of all sizes, including German Shepherds.
- FitPAWS Paw Pods for Dog Agility have a stellar star rating on Amazon. One dog owner gave the pods a five-star rating and said “Great! My dog loves these, he does agility and the Paw Pods really help with his balance and feet awareness. A must have for the agility dog.” Another buyer said “My dog loves working with her Pods!” and gave the product five stars.
Suggested Activity: This is another agility training tool that can be very beneficial for your German Shepherd. If you read about independent limb awareness, you can see how these pods are an excellent fit.
Summing It Up: Toys And Games For German Shepherds Are Plentiful!
there you have it! Eight fun and highly-rated toys that are ideal for German shepherds. When you combine these toys with the suggested activities, you and your furry friend will surely have an excellent. You may even be inspired to come up with your own unique games to play!
We hope you enjoyed reading this post, and we’ve got others that are excellent for German shepherd owners. Below you’ll find a list of those articles. Feel free to browse them to see some helpful information and product recommendations:
- Keep Your German Shepherd In Great Shape! posted by Theresa
- German Shepherd Lab Mix – The Sheprador posted by Josh
- Georgian Shepherd posted by Josh
- Best Dog Car Seat Covers for 2016 posted by Josh
- Is Your Dog Ready to Run With You? posted by Josh
- The Right Exercise for Your Type of Dog posted by Josh
- Why Do Dogs Shed? posted by Theresa
Lastly, we’d like to hear your thoughts on these toys and activities for German shepherds. If you already own some of these goodies, what do you think of them? If you’ve got questions about the activities we’ve discussed, let us know. Any and all feedback is welcome, and we’re always happy to help you find the answers you’re looking for!