Can Dogs Eat Gummy Bears?

Gummy

bears are a treat that both kids and adults love. Most of the children in this society love to buy and eat gummy bears. If your child loves to eat gummy bears, he or she might give your pet some of it. Can dogs eat gummy bears? According to vets, gummy bears are bad for the health of dogs. The problem with gummy bears is the xylitol content. As you can see, this particular chemical is very toxic to dogs. Gummy bears are actually included in the top 10 list of the most dangerous foods for dogs of any breed.

Effects of Xylitol

It

is pretty obvious that xylitol is safe for human consumption, however for dogs, it is not the same thing. You should know that xylitol is just as sweet as table sugar. It has a lot of calories that can make your dog fat and hyper. Due to this, your dog may suffer from certain complications such as obesity and heart problems. Too much xylitol may allow the formation of cavities in the teeth of dogs. It can also stimulate the production of too much saliva which can make your dog really messy at times.

Gummy Bears
Based on some studies, xylitol is extremely toxic for dogs of any breed. You should avoid giving your dog food that contain considerable amounts of xylitol. You should know that even a small quantity of this particular chemical can induce hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. In worst cases, xylitol can make your dog’s health deteriorate to the point where he or she can no longer recover and they pass away. You should educate your children to not give your dogs sweets and treats such as gummy bears.