Name That Toy
If you and your pup are getting bored with his toys, take it to the next level by teaching your dog the names of his toys. You’ll have a few more choices with your games when you can tell your dog exactly what she needs to get.
To start teaching your dog names of toys:
- Pick one toy, say a stuffed rabbit, and play Fetch with that toy, calling the toy by its name. Continue to say the name while you play “Get the Rabbit?”
- Have a play session like this 3 or 4 more times.
- Mix in play Hide and Seek sessions with the same toy, calling the toy by name “Where’s Rabbit?”
- Work with the name of one toy at a time for 3 to 8 sessions depending on your dog.
- When your dog seems to get it, play with another toy calling it by name.
When your dog knows the name of 2 or 3 toys, you can start playing new games like:
- Line up. Line up all his toys and have him pick toys out of a line up.
- Safari Hunt. Scatter toys through the house and have her fetch specific toys that you call.
You can even teach her to help you find some of your things like your keys!
Do you play a game like this with your dog? Do you have a good dog game to share? Tell us in the comment below!
Click Here to check out more great dog games!