What Are The Foods That Are Toxic To Dogs?

There are actually plenty of human foods you wouldn’t expect to be but are very harmful to your dog to be eating.  For this reason, you should always know what the common foods that are dangerous and toxic to dogs, lest you feed them some common food that is good for humans but bad for them!

If your dog ingests any of these foods in significant quantities, you need to seek professional veterinary help as soon as possible.  Also, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control center can be reached at (888) 426 4435, and they can offer advice on your specific situation in how to help your dog.

Dog Ate PersimmonOne of the most commonly known toxic substances for dogs is Chocolate.  I am sure you have heard of it before as a dog owner, do not feed your dog chocolate because it will kill them!  Although this is usually rather overextended in scope, chocolate is very toxic to dogs.  Chocolate contains a chemical called Methylxanthine, which is found in the cacao plant beans.  This means that Caffeine products, like coffee, are just as dangerous for your dog as chocolate is.  Upon ingestion, this chemical  will cause severe symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urnination, and panting as your dog’s body tries to violently expel the chemical from its system.  In larger quantities of ingestion, this chemical can cause abnormal heart beating, seizures, and tremors that can lead to death.  It is important to remember that the more pure forms of this substance will be exponentially more dangerous for your dog, like baking chocolate and fresh coffee beans.  If your dog gets into either one of these, you should immediately take them to the vet as it is quickly going to turn into an emergency situation.  Likewise, if your dog eats an m&m or licks some spilled coffee on the floor, it is doubtful you are going to even notice any adverse symptoms or pain in your pet.

Some lesser known toxic substances for dogs are avocado, macadamia nuts, grapes, yeast dough, onions and garlic, and gum-based products.  All of these things are unable to be digested by your dog, and will produce very problematic and dangerous effects if your dog ingests them in any significant quantity.  Nuts in general, are very toxic to dogs, so it is best to keep them away from many nuts unless you are absolutely sure it is okay for them to eat.  Many dogs are also lactose intolerant, and giving them milk could lead to an upset stomach or vomiting although this is very situational based on the dog.  If you plan on feeding them raw meat, make sure you only give them local organic meats, as dogs can get the same diseases from the terrible quality Walmart meats that we can.