Our Top 5 Picks For High-Quality Dog Collars For Your Pit Bull
you have a strong dog, having an equally strong leash and a collar is absolutely crucial. We know that pit bulls get a bad rap, but they’re sincerely lovable and friendly just like any other breed. However, pit bulls tend to pack a lot of muscle, and you want to make sure you’re keeping your dog safe and secured. Because of this, you’ll need to get a collar that’s designed for pit bulls and other similar breeds.
Before we dive into our favorite collars, we want to cover the different types that are available. All of these types have their benefits, but you likely have some personal preferences. Check out the styles that are suitable for pit bulls to see what your options are. Then, explore our list of the dog collars that we consider the best for this breed.
What Types Of Collars Should You Consider?
Shock Collars – Don’t let the name put you off – shock collars are not designed to harm dogs. There is certainly a lot of controversy surrounding the use of these collars, but they do provide many benefits. They can be very safe tools when used correctly and pets adapt to them quickly. Static correction collars may be becoming more commonly accepted and popular because safe use is key to successful use. These collars are commonly paired with wireless fence systems to keep your dog within a certain area.
Prong Collars or Pinch Collars – A prong collar or a pinch collar is a metal collar. The metal links of the collar feature prongs that have blunt but firm ends. When you pull the control loop on the collar, it pinches the excess loose skin that surrounds your pit bull’s neck. Some people view these collars as unsafe or cruel, but they can be effective when used properly. Make sure you measure your dog’s neck to choose the right size, as this may help avoid choking and other hazards. Place the collar so that it sits high on your pit bull’s neck near his ears.
Metal Link or Choke Chain Collars – These collars are made from strong metals such as stainless steel, and they typically feature a thick chain-link style. They are designed to tighten around your dog’s neck when you pull on the collar. However, it is important to learn how to use this type of collar correctly. Improper use can cause harm to your dog, so make sure you are 100% comfortable using this type of collar.
Thick Leather Collars – Leather collars for pit bulls are ideal because of their durability. Ideally, these collars should be between 1.5 and 3 inches wide. This reduces the likelihood of wear and tear, especially in strong breeds like pit bulls. Despite being made of leather, a high-quality collar will be pliable and comfortable for your dog. Some of these collars feature a padded side or a side made of softer fabric so the leather is not abrasive against your dog’s neck. If you prefer not to use real leather, you can use vegan leather crafted from polyurethane.
Head Collar – This type of collar is ideal for dogs who are strong, high-energy and have a tendency to pull on their leashes. They are pretty similar to what you would find on horses and donkeys. This type of collar has two straps. One goes around your dog’s ears to cover his muzzle. The other strap goes around your pit bull’s neck in the style of traditional collars. If you are training your dog to be less aggressive, this is certainly a safe, viable option.
Our Top Picks For Dog Collars
Ultra Strong Designer Pit Bull Collar
- Available in seven sizes ranging from 18 inches in length to 36 inches in length.
- The collar is made from stainless steel links that are rust-proof.
- The links are fully welded, making it impossible for your pit bull to break the collar.
- Each collar is 20 millimeters in width, so it is ideal for large breeds like pit bulls.
- Despite being made of a tough metal, this collar is carefully polished so it will not snag on your dog’s fur or irritate his skin.
What We Like About This Collar: If you’re worried about a fabric collar breaking but don’t want to use a pinch collar, then this is ideal for you. We love how durable the metal, but at the same time it’s designed to feel smooth on your dog’s neck. Many users comment on the stylish design of this collar as well as the humane design. Lastly, we like that this collar comes in a large range of sizes. As long as you follow the sizing instructions, you can find the perfect fit for your dog.
Red Leather Spiked Studded Dog Collar
- Comes in three sizes ranging from ‘Large’ to ‘XXL’.
- The collar is crafted from high-quality genuine leather.
- Available in a bright red or natural tan color.
- Each collar features stylish studs and spikes on the exterior.
- The buckle and D-ring are bronze plated for durability.
- Sizing instructions can be found in the third picture for this product.
What We Like About This Collar: We’re really impressed that such a simple, classic collar has outstanding feedback. It’s stylish in a very understated way, and the genuine leather is built to last. The studs and spikes on the outside of the collar are not sharp, so there’s no need to worry about hurting yourself or your pit bull. Many dog owners love the tight stitching that adds extra reinforcement to the collar, and we enjoy this aspect, too. If you want a no-frills, high-quality leather collar for your dog, then this is the choice for you.
Pet Supply Imports Herm Sprenger Chrome Plated Training Collar
- Available in small, medium, large, and extra large.
- The collar is crafted from chrome plated steel for the ultimate strength and durability.
- Features a quick release snap for your pit bull’s safety.
- The design of the collar will evenly apply pressure to your dog’s neck.
- Each link (the pinch/prong part of the collar) has rounded ends to ensure safety.
- You can add or remove links to the collar to customize for your dog’s needs.
- The collar has a limited guarantee that covers breakage and rusting (contact manufacturer for details).
What We Like About This Collar: We know that some pit bull owners are wary of pinch collars, so we like the safety measures that this collar offers. You don’t have to worry about sharp prongs harming your pit bull’s neck. The quick release snap adds an additional layer of safety. The manufacturer provides very detailed instructions on sizing, so you can get the perfect fit for your pit bull. Reviews by other dog lovers are a true testament to this collar; some call it a “blessing” and it’s approved by dog trainers. If you’re new to using pinch collars, this is definitely a reassuring option to consider.
EtekStorm Dog Training Collar Set
- This collar uses lights, beeps, vibrations, and static shocks to help train your dog.
- The collar is crafted from sturdy nylon, so it’s built to last.
- The collar is adjustable and between 14 and 23 inches long.
- Designed for dogs up to 100 pounds.
- The manufacturer offers a three-year warranty on the system (contact manufacturer for details).
- This set also comes with one remote transmitter, one collar receiver, one USB charging cable, one test bulb, one ID tag, and a user manual.
What We Like About This Collar: This full-fledged training collar set is an excellent choice if you’re looking to train your dog. For example, you may have a backyard without a fence; this collar and the tools are great for training your dog to stay in your yard. What we really like, however, is that you have four options – lights, beeps, vibrations, and static shocks. This pet-friendly system may be ideal if you are weary about using static shock. Lastly, we like that this set comes with a comprehensive user manual. Nothing is more important than your dog’s safety, and using a collar correctly is a huge part of that.
The Company Of Animals Halti Optifit
- This head collar features a padded noseband to help keep your pit bull comfortable.
- The collar comes with an instructional DVD, written instructions, and a safety link.
- The chin strap is adjustable so you can get the right fit.
- Comprehensive measurements are listed in the fourth product picture, so you can get the right size.
- The fabric used for the Optifit collar is woven in the same way that seatbelts are. This means it is designed for maximum security and resistance to wear and tear.
What We Like About This Collar: You can tell how comprehensive and high-quality this product is simply by looking at the details on Amazon. However, we are really pleased that the designer of this product, Dr. Roger Mugford, is an animal welfare advocate and animal psychologist. This gives you total reassurance that the head collar is designed to suit your dog’s best interest. Additionally, we like that this collar comes with visual instructions. With the DVD guiding you, you can feel confident that you’ll use the collar properly.
these five high-quality options, you definitely have some choices. Whether you’d like a soft collar or an advanced training tool, you can find it in the products listed above. Keeping your pit bull secured and comfortable during training is important, so we choose collars that can do the job. Explore the products that we’ve carefully vetted, and you’re sure to pick the collar that suits your pit bull the best.