Comparing Metal Cages vs Aquariums:
- Very well ventilated.
- Easy to attach shelves and accessories.
- Bedding can escape through slats.
- Some more bothersome degus will chew on the bars.
- Are a bit of a visual obstruction for watching your critters.
- Allows for climbing the bars (for degus who think they are spider monkeys).
- Great for hand feeding walk by’s (treats through the slats).
- Tedious to clean: scoop out the bottom (or remove tray) and wipe or spray down all bars & platforms.
- There are a wide variety of styles from ferret, rat, bird cages are available at many locations.
- Typically open only at the top which provides less air circulation.
- To add cage accessories you must suction cup, glued, stand from base or hook over the top edge.
- Bedding cannot “fly” out of a tank very easily.
- Degus can’t chew on a flat glass surface (but they do go after the clue in the sides and the plastic at the top if they can reach it.
- Allow a clear view of your fuzzy little friends at all times.
- Cannot climb up the flat glass but will press their paws and nose up against it for attention.
- You have to remove the cover in order to have any access to your degus.
- Easy to clean, remove degus and toys and accessories and flip the tank on its side to dump out the dirty bedding into a trash bag. Then spray or wash the glass (inside and out).
- It’s a pretty fixed price tank market out there but craigslist and no longer waterproof ones come at bargains if you are looking for em!