Natural and Safe Cleaners That Won’t Damage Your Dog’s Kennel
kennel flooring is very important if you want your dog to be as healthy and safe as possible. We’ve discussed the importance of crates and kennels before, but we also want to talk about kennel cleaning. It doesn’t matter what type of kennel style you prefer; clean kennel flooring is truly the best kind of kennel flooring. However, the cleaning products you use are just as crucial to your dog’s health and safety. Chemicals like bleach and ammonia can be irritating and hazardous, and they aren’t exactly gentle on the environment.
In addition to this, you want to expand the life of your kennel flooring for as long as possible. After all, it’s a financial investment no matter what type of flooring you’ve got. The cleaning products you use may have some impact on how long it stays in good shape. Flooring for kennels should be cleaned with the utmost care; avoiding chemicals and harsh ingredients is certainly a good choice to make.
Because of this, we decided to look into natural and eco-friendly ways to clean kennel flooring. We were happy to see that there are quite a few different natural kennel cleaning products available on the market. After reading about several of them, we compiled this list of products for you to consider. Additionally, we’ve provided some great information about making your own all-natural kennel floor cleaner. Read on to find out how you can go green and keep your dog’s kennel safe and spotless.
Pre-Made Kennel Floor Cleaner Products
Unique Natural Products Pet Odor and Stain Eliminator – If your kennel flooring is stained, then this product is calling your name. It’s a ready-to-use formula that works on new stains and old stains alike. It’s also effective at removing odors, so you’ve got every single thing you need in one bottle. The product contains non-activated enzymes that get to work as soon as they come into contact with organic material. Examples of this organic material include dog feces, urine, and vomit. They eat away at every trace of these materials, so odors and smells are totally eliminated. This gets the job done without the hassle and risk of using pungent and toxic bleach.
Bubbas Xtreme Pet Odor Eliminator – In a previous post about Amazon’s popular kennel cleaners, we mentioned Bubbas Pet Odor Eliminator. This eight-ounce bottle of concentrated deodorizer makes two gallons of kennel odor-eliminating solution. The ingredients in this bleach-free product are not only good for kennels; it can be safely used on litter boxes, carpets, furniture, and more. It features a cucumber melon smell that many reviewers call “powerful” and “pleasant”. Lastly, Bubbas Xtreme Pet Odor Eliminator offers a money-back guarantee if you’re not happy with the product. This certainly makes it a risk-free option worth considering.
Sun & Earth Natural All Purpose Cleaner – You may notice that this product is not marketed specifically as a kennel floor cleaner or deodorizer. However, don’t dismiss it before you read about it! This cleaner can be used on pretty much any surface that comes to mind. That makes it perfect for all different types of kennel flooring, walls, drains, and more. The cleaner is free of synthetic ingredients, perfumes, dyes, and phosphates. In other words, it’s as gentle as a household cleaner can get! But don’t let that fool you – according to Amazon users, this cleaner really packs a punch. They also rave about the completely natural and pleasant aroma that this cleaner gives off. If you want a versatile product that’s eco-friendly, this one is right up your alley.
VetriCure Pet Area Disinfectant – When it’s time to thoroughly disinfect and deep clean your dog’s kennel flooring, you need a strong cleaner designed to destroy germs and bacteria. That’s exactly what this VertriCure product does, but it stands out from other powerful disinfects. Many store bought cleaners leave behind a strong chemical residue; this means you have to rinse your dog’s kennel flooring for his safety. This product is safe to use around animals and people, and you don’t have to worry about your dog accidentally ingesting chemicals. The disinfectant kills fecal germs, viruses, bacteria, and other pollutants that cause animals to become ill. This alcohol-free and bleach-free product is a great fit if you want to keep your kennel flooring as sanitary as possible.
Homemade Kennel Floor Cleaner Ingredients
kennel flooring cleaner is a natural and inexpensive way clean kennel flooring for dogs. If you’re frugal or enjoy making homemade products, apply these passions to cleaning your furry friend’s kennel! This method of cleaning is incredibly cost effective; when the cost is broken down, you pay less than a dollar or two per bottle of cleaner. Talk about a good deal!
DIY cleaners are far from weak, too. These cleaners can be just as effective as strong chemical cleaners on kennel flooring tiles. The difference is that these cleaners are gentle enough to not cause health issues or discomfort for you and your dog. So overall, this option is great if you’d prefer an eco-friendly option where you know every single ingredient.
You can use any of the liquid ingredients listed below in a spray bottle and dilute them with water. We recommend using a separate spray bottle for each type of cleaner you make; label them to avoid confusing and make cleaning a breeze. You may also combine baking soda with water or use it dry depending on the recipe. Whatever you decide to do, all of these options are great for cleaning a huge variety of kennel flooring material.
Here are four budget-friendly and affordable cleaning ingredients for you to consider:
- White Distilled Vinegar – White distilled vinegar is a powerful yet gentle way to kill many different types of bacteria and disinfect dozens of surfaces. It’s also much safer to use than bleach, but it provides the same germ-killing power as the toxic alternative. That makes white distilled vinegar ideal for cleaning your dog’s kennel. You can simply mix one part vinegar with one part water in a spray bottle to create a simple cleaning solution. Spray your dog’s kennel flooring, then wipe it down to remove any excess residue. However, you can also use this solution with some of the ingredients listed below.
- Hydrogen Peroxide – Hydrogen peroxide is another powerful and affordable ingredient that ideal for homemade cleaning solutions. It helps prevent and remove mold and mildew, cleans up dirt and stains, disinfects surfaces, and much more. You can alternate using a mixture of white vinegar and water with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water. However, it’s best not to combine the two ingredients together in a bottle, as the reaction can be unpredictable. Start out by using the hydrogen peroxide mixture, then allow it to air dry or wipe it up. Follow it up with the white vinegar mixture. This is the ultimate way to kill bacteria and keep your kennel floors looking great!
- Baking Soda – Baking soda can be used in several different ways to clean your dog’s kennel and kennel flooring. It’s a powerful odor eliminator and safe for use in indoor and outdoor kennels. It’s also a gentle exfoliant that can be used in place of powdered bleach and similar chemical cleaners. For deodorizing your dog’s kennel, simply sprinkle baking soda and let it set for several hours or overnight. Vacuum it up and you’ll have a fresh smelling kennel floor. To remove dirt and grime, create a paste using the baking soda and some water. Apply it to the kennel, and let it set for several hours or overnight. Use the vinegar and water spray mentioned above and spray down the kennel once the mixture is fully dry. Then wipe or spray it out – this should remove all sorts of buildup, germs, and other unpleasantries in your dog’s kennel.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice is an affordable and super effective way to cut through grime. Because of this, you may notice that lemon and orange oils are used in household cleaning products like dish soap. Try adding a few tablespoons of this citrus juice to your vinegar and water mixture. This can help remove buildup and stubborn residue on your dog’s kennel flooring. Make sure you let your dog’s kennel floor dry completely before he returns to it. Alternatively, you can give it a good rinsing after you’ve finished cleaning. Though lemon juice is natural, the acidic nature may irritate dogs that have sensitive skin or other conditions.
Some Factors To Consider When Choosing A Cleaning Product
and eco-friendly cleaning products are overall safe options, but there are always some exceptions. We want to make sure that your kennel flooring has a long life, and a big part of that is cleaning it properly. Additionally, our biggest priority is ensuring that your furry friend is safe. Ask yourself the three questions below before you make a purchase. This can help you rule out the possibility of damaging your flooring or causing your dog any discomfort.
- What kind of kennel flooring material do you use? If you purchase a pre-made kennel cleaner, make sure that you carefully read the label. The options we’ve listed are very versatile and suitable for dozens of different flooring materials. However, some cleaners and some flooring may not be compatible. If you can’t find a solid answer, consider contacting the manufacturer of the flooring or of the cleaning product you want to buy.
- Does your dog have any allergies to the cleaning ingredients? Though natural ingredients are widely considered safe, some dogs have very unique allergies. If your dog is allergy-prone, double check the ingredient labels prior to using any products. This will reduce the risk of irritation or an allergic reaction. However, your furry friend will most likely be safe when you use natural cleaners.
- Is your kennel flooring a dark color or black? If so, it may be lightened when you use natural bleach alternatives like hydrogen peroxide and lemon juice. The difference may only be subtle, so this may not matter to you. If you want to avoid any fading or lightening, stick with other ingredients or cleansers that do not contain these bleach alternatives.
Wrapping It Up: You CAN Clean Your Kennel Floor Naturally!
got lots of different kennel flooring options, and you’ve also got plenty of eco-friendly cleaning options. Whether you’re cleaning at-home kennel flooring panels or commercial kennel flooring, we’ve got you covered. Try out one of the products in the list above, or have some fun experimenting with do-it-yourself cleaners. You may be surprised to find just how effective these environmentally friendly alternatives can be.
If you’d like to read more about dog kennels and dog kennel flooring ideas, we’ve got even more great information for you. Read about choosing an outdoor dog kennel and what to consider when getting a crate. The AnimalHub “All Things Dog” category is full of helpful tips, resources, and product recommendations. We’d love for you to check it out to find more articles, guidance, and great tools for you and your furry friend. As always, please let us know what you think and feel free to leave feedback! We’re looking forward to hearing about your experiences with kennels, dog kennel cleaning, and more.